Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Black Keys

Need I say more?

A few years back-- I want to say 4 now-- a buddy of mine Ben Mangum showed me this band. He had found them while rummaging around his older brother's empty room one afternoon, and decided just to throw them on as he looked for anything of value.

I'd say the best thing he discovered in that room were the powerful, raw melodies of Dan Auerbach and the gritty beats of Pat Carney.

The first song I heard was "Your Touch" from Magic Potion which is a classic Keys song that combines classic rock & roll, blues, and the modern, almost indie sound that they have been able to perfect over the years. I got Ben to burn me the album and it became an early favorite. But for one reason or another I didn't attempt to buy or download any albums. Granted, this was before "Attack and Release" came out so there wasn't much of a discography out there. It was highly doubtful that either Best Buy or FYE in Montgomery, Alabama kept them in stock.

So it wasn't until about a year later that I got my hands on Attack and Release. By far my favorite album by the group, I really feel that they came into their own with this one. It starts of slower with "All You Ever Wanted" and the busts into the gritty, hard rockin' tune "I Got Mine." (Which, interestingly enough, I heard a random band at a nearby park jamming so hard to this song to a crowd of about 27, including the group of children on the swings and the old couple staring at the small gazebo/stage in confusion and disbelief)

But, I to this day think that Attack and Release trumps Brothers. Yeah, I know how awesome it is. It's an incredible album, some of the best music of 2010 I'd say. And the Keys prove that they are a band that can attract a huge following while continuing to produce an innovative, original sound. But, face it "Attack and Release" is better. It's more of just Dan and Pat, rather than adding a keyboard, bass, and extra guitar to the band in order to play songs from "Brothers" live. Yes, many of the songs in A&R feature keyboard and/or other "extra" instruments. But, its the way in which they are added to the song that proves the difference. Take my favorite song on the album "Things ain't like they used to be." The beginning is so soft, yet so epic-- slow distorted guitar with some heavy reverb accompanied by quiet pulsating drum. By the end of the song, Auerbach's guitar slowly, yet powerfly crashes down the fretboard, inevitably bringing you with it while at the same time the bass and organ suddenly erupt and you find the melody as the song repeats the ending phrase.

Brothers is just a completely different album. Each song has its own unique vibe and sound while still filling a niche and maintaining a consistent sound. Again, not saying its bad by any means. I love it. I just like A&R more. If you don't agree, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment